Thursday, April 23, 2009

Faith Like a Pikin

Last night's children's service was amazing! I love our pikins! (the krio word for "child"). I have been teaching them Bible lessons chronologically, starting with creation, and now tracing God's covenant with Abraham through future generations. Last night we got to Moses and the burning bush, and the kids absolutely loved the story! It was like they had heard it for the first time! They were so attentive, and did a good job of answering my follow up questions after the story. Then I opened it up for questions from them if there was anything they didn't understand, and they had some really great questions! One of them wanted to know why God allowed the Israelites to be enslaved so long in the first place, which opened the door for a little bit of review of previous stories. Another one wanted to know why Moses didn't want to obey God, and how he could have so easily lost his faith. What a question we can learn from! In the eyes of a child, it's so simple....when God asks you to do something, He will protect you and give you everything you need to accomplish it. So why do we so easily forget our faith? It was truly humbling to hear those thoughts coming from our precious children.

In other news, my time here is winding down SO fast! I have only a little over a week left! It amazes me how quickly it really has gone by. I feel like I am just starting to really get into the swing of things and build relationships and now I am leaving, but that's the way it has to be I suppose. Tuesday night with the girls was a blast though! They tried to teach Megan and I how to "plant" (the tiny braids they wear), although we were both terrible at it. And even though this time with the girls is really just a fun, hang out and relationship building time, it always seems to open doors for really good conversations with them, including talking of spiritual matters. And two of the girls, who have never come to our services before, came Sunday morning after our first girls' night! God is truly blessing! Pray that He continues to work in and through me, even in my final week here.

No comments:

Post a Comment